AEE 690 - 5 British Phrases that Most Americans Don’t Know

Howdy! here we are again, with our listening practices podcast.
Let's not waste any time and dig into it.

*here's the Zelda to the episode*
-

 1. Minging
    • If something is disgusting or gross we can use this word. If you see something that makes you feel sick in your stomach you should say, “Uh that’s minging” and in American English we might say “Uh that’s gross.”
2. To chinwag
    • This means to chat or talk with someone casually. It could be used as a noun or a verb. You might “have a chinwag” with a friend when you go out for a coffee.
3. To be as thick as two short planks
    • This expression can be used to describe someone who is not intelligent or who does something that is stupid or clumsy.
4. To give someone a bell
    • To call someone. In American English we might say, “I’ll give you a ring” or “I’ll give you a call.”
5. hunky-dory
    • fine, no problem. You could say, “My sister and her boyfriend had a huge fight and she was going to move out but they have talked it over and now everything is hunky-dory again.”
-
And for the comments of this podcast :
To be honest, I don't really appreciate this type of podcast show, personally I prefer British English more than American English, in this case I chose an episode related to British phrases that'll soften their "USA style" thingy.

I love the accent of British English, the texture in their voice gives people a polite tone and less arrogance from the way people speak, American English is loud, and more self-centered, I like to speak with American English, but when I'm in the position as a listener, British tongue is the best.

other than the accent, I do find some of the phrases which are quite interesting that they refer not just from the word itself, but with a sarcastic meaning, this type of phrases are less commonly showed on textbooks than usual terms, overall, it's not that bad as a way to train your listening skill of English, but I'll pass.

Comments

  1. Nice comments!
    British accent sounds so elegant, and i like it a lot too.
    You're right, I guess one good thing about this website is that we get to learn informal words and usages that are not likely to appear on our textbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Greetings!

TED talk